My brother recently got an iPod Video off eBay which refuses to keep a charge for longer than 30 minutes. I suspected it was an old battery, and thought it could be fixed by swapping in another one. Once I got the case open, I discovered a burn mark on the back on the hard drive foam, pointing out that there was a blown out component on the main board. Lovely.
I searched the internet for an hour for the specification on this blown out part, labeled C140. I found some hi-res photos of the main board on Google Images, leading me to believe that C140 is the same as C150. I removed C150, and attempted to measure it. My capacitor meter wasn’t giving me consistent results, but I think it was telling me 10pF. Before I could replace C150, it flew out of my tweezers, and into another dimension… so I went for broke, and replaced both with 10pF ceramic caps.
After powering up and tried charging, I put my finger on the components, feeling for heat. All seemed fine, so I closed up the case. We charged it up and after two hours so far so good! I gave the iPod back to my brother, and he is going to get back to me with longer term results.